Rice pudding is a very popular dessert around the world, so much so that there are different versions of it.So much so that there are different versions of this dish in almost every country.
In this article we tell you the origin of this delicious dessert and explain the step-by-step explanation of the traditional rice pudding recipe, so that you can prepare itso that you can prepare it easily and quickly at home.
- You may be interested in: “How to make a perfect risotto with 3 delicious recipes”.
Origin of rice pudding
But before going to the point, and never better said, we tell you the story behind this tasty dessert, because if there are many ways to prepare rice pudding all over the world is because the origin of this delicacy goes back many centuries and comes from very distant countries.
Although it is a very popular traditional dessert both in Spain and in several Latin American countries, it is said that it was brought by the Arabs through Andalusia, and then became more popular in Asturias due to the quality of the milk in this region.
This is due to the fact that the arrival of rice in Spain came with the Arabs, who also introduced products such as cane sugar products such as cane sugar, lemon and cinnamon.. All this suggests that the origins of the traditional rice pudding recipe date back to the 7th century in the Iberian Peninsula, and then spread to Latin America after colonization.
However, other versions indicate that the first rice puddings were created in China, India or even other Middle Eastern countries, due to the high production of its main ingredient, rice, and that there are traditional recipes in those places that are very similar to the most current version of this dessert.
The truth is that there are many countries where rice pudding exists as a traditional dessert, although with certain variations from the one we knowalthough with certain variations of the one we know and with different names. Here we explain a recipe for traditional rice pudding, according to the version popularized in Spain and in several Latin American countries.
Recipe for traditional rice pudding
Although there are many ways to prepare this dish, this rice pudding recipe is considered the most popular and widespread version.. And although it is a dessert that requires patience when preparing it, it is an easy and quick recipe.
Ingredients for 4 people
These are the basic ingredients for a traditional homemade rice pudding recipe, but each recipe can be customized and has its own variations.
- 1 ¼ liter of whole milk
- 115 gr round rice
- 100 grams of sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Cinnamon powder for decoration
Rice pudding recipe step by step
Follow this easy and quick rice pudding recipe that we explain you step by step below, to obtain a delicious below, to obtain a delicious and ideal dessert to have at any time.
Take a saucepan and heat the milk over medium heat along with the sugar, the zest of 1 lemon and the cinnamon stick. It is recommended that whole milk for a better creaminess.d. Bring to a boil.
At this point you can drain the rice if you prefer, although some people recommend not to do so in order not to lose the creaminess of the rice pudding with the loss of starch. In any case, add the rice to the pan with the milk, stir and lower the heat to medium low, so that it cooks over low heat..
The rice should be left to cook for about 45 to 50 minutes, but it is important to stir constantly. it is important to stir constantly so that it does not stick. When the rice pudding begins to be mellow and is cooked, remove from heat.
Set aside the cinnamon stick and the lemon rind, and reserve them if you want to use them as decoration at the end of the dish. Let the pan cool and divide the rice into bowls or the container you prefer to serve it in. Add the sprinkled cinnamon powder and, if you prefer, use the cinnamon stick or a few pieces of lemon peel to decorate.
Tips for its preparation
Here are some last tips to make your rice pudding recipe look great and you won’t have any problems.
- There are rice pudding recipes in which first cook the rice in water and then mix it with the milk, but you can also cook it all togetherbut you can also cook it all together from the beginning.
- If you wash the rice before using it, it is said that it loses creaminess, although in this way it also helps it not to stick so easily.
- It is preferable to add the ingredients cold, especially so that the rice does not stick. But do not forget to stir constantly and never let more than 5 minutes pass without stirring.
- The rice will be absorbing milk even outside the stove.The rice will be absorbing milk even outside the stove, so you must keep an eye on the amount of milk that is left so that it does not remain dry. If you see that it is lacking while it is cooking, you can add a little hot milk.
- To give more creaminess to your homemade rice pudding, once the husks have been removed, you can add about 20 grams of butter and stir well.
- You can also vary the recipe by adding ½ vanilla pod, an orange peel or even cloves. It is important not to leave the white part of the peel of the fruit you use, as it can add bitterness.
- You can decorate your rice pudding with the same cinnamon stick, pieces of the peel, pieces of the orange peel or even cloves.pieces of lemon peel or even add mint leaves. In countries like Argentina they add dulce de leche.
Now you have your homemade rice pudding recipe, easy and quick to prepare. However you prepare it, don’t forget that the important thing is to cook it with patience and stir it well. Do you dare to try it?
- You may be interested in: “Homemade yogurt sponge cake recipe (easy to prepare and delicious).”